Monday 4 August 2008

Mallorca, Day 5, Geocaching

5 days on this beautiful island already and not a single cache. Hmm...not that this fact was really bothering me but what will my fellow geocachers say?? Maybe like „haha...vacations on Mallorca Island...drinking and sunbathing!! That's no vacation“! So, to not look like a typical german, beerdinking, sunbathing tourist, I turned into a typical, german beer drinking geocacher.


Seriously, I was prepared to do at least 3 caches here that I could easily reach by bike. Today it was again hot hot hot at 37°C and I went by bicycle to the first cache: MOLI DE VENT, a very beautiful mill and had no problems with discovering the well hidden box but if I would be 10 cm smaller, I would have had no chance...must be disappointing for those who make it here, discover the hiding-place but cannot reach it. The Mill was giving me a nice shadow place where I drank my first litre of water today.

The next cache was said to be only 2 km away. I made it uphill and uphill and uphill while my shirt already got so very wet from sweat that it seemed to be pulling me down. The cache location was situated in kind of an archaeological park, that meant: again uphill! My GPS said: 150 metres to the cache when I noticed a lot of noise coming from the top of the hill - the cache direction: workers everywhere around the cache location doing some kind of re-organizing there :-( So I turned around and went downhill downhill downhill without logging the cache. I was really pissed off...150m only!!!!

That was it for today. The third cache would have been 3 kilometres far on a cliff near the sea with Terrain 3,5, but I had no water and energy left anymore.

Caching on Mallorca Island in summer during the daytime is for idiots!! So, it is maybe perfect for me, but I think I won't go again...maybe by our air conditioned car that we wanna rent tomorrow to make a trip to the „Cuevas del Drach“.

For today I will close the day as I am expected to: drinking beer, sunbathing. Cheers!

2 comments:

lytha said...

this post had me *LOL* winni.

"beerdrinking geocacher" indeed.

not to toot my own horn, but check it out: i found my first 4.5 difficulty cache!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did a little dance of joy. i've never found a 4.5 before. HOORAY! (i was with my horsey friends in the woods, and when i came home and told joerg, he turned green with envy.)

Unknown said...

D 4,5? Gratulations on that one, beth. I think I never did a cache with that difficulty. the most difficult ones were rated D4/T4 and that was hard enough!!

I never expected me to drink as much beer as I do here. usually I don't like beer at all, but the spanish beer here is not bitter and a cold beer is even better than any juice or water...sometimes. I wonder if I will keep that habit...*hicks*