Thursday 30 October 2008

Welcome to China



The Firefox browser is a nice toy. Right now I found a funny add-on called "China-Channel". Once you activate it, it will connect you to the internet via a chinese proxy-server. Means that you are surfing the web like someone from China, with all its blocked and censored sites.

Interesting for me because I have read so much about the censorship in China but could hardly believe that something like that nowadays can still exist. My chinese friends though told me that it is true and now I made the experience myself:

My blogsite - not displaying any embedded Gadgets and YouTube videos!
Google Maps - not working at all
Flickr/Picasa - sites are loading but not displaying any images (haha...very smart for image hosting sites!!)
spiegel online (german newschannel) - not loading
and... and... and... and...

Funny for me cause I can leave this mess with a click at a button.
Sad for those who have to get along with this censorship every day!

No comments: