Friday 15 June 2007

Geocaching, June 14th, my 150th cache

Long time no "after-work-caching-tour" I thought to myself. But now it was high-time again. At home everyone had recovered, we visited all doctors...so, I switched off my mobile phone and went off after work for some geocaching in the woods again.
I was in an area that I knew from other caching-tours. Appr. 30-35 kilometres from here.

The forests out there are simply perfect. Small ways, not many people around and always challenging caches hidden there. Perfect for me!!
It was dry and sunny weather when I began with my first search at Hinkelsteine . This one was easy. I knew immediately where the cache would be, but there has been an older couple in a garden nearby that was constantly staring at the man who was sitting and walking around there with no plan as it looked. Finally they both turned away after some minutes and I took the chance to grab the cache, write my log and put it back safely.

At the next cache
, NSG Gierenberg ,there were less problems. No mugglers around but I also had no GPS signal. It was dark in the forest...a roof made of green leaves covered everything and made it impossible to navigate. So, I was following my "cachers-instincts" and found the box after a few minutes only :-)

When I reached Eichen-Naturdenkmal it was raining heavily...but I did not really care. But he cache...hmm.....this was heavy. I nearly beat myself here. I had only the coordinates for the first waypoints of this multi-cache and knew nothing else. I forgot to print the logs and hints for this cache and so it looked as if I would have to quit here. I wanted to stop my search after 20 minutes and wanted to leave when I discovered a very small sign with East/North Coordinates on it. From there it was only a 100 metres to the cache location.
Perfect...I was proud!! The cache itself was hidden under an old oak tree...must have been a hundred years or more old. Very impressive.

This was my 150th cache:
Waldparkplatz Osenberge
The way towards this cache began at a parking area. From here there was a narrow and winding way leading through the forest. I walked some 10 minutes until I was close. My GPS was exact this time and so I had no probs to find the location. The cache itself was hidden very smart...under green moss it was invisible and I had to use my cache stick to find it. There was a key chain with a blinking sign on it in the cache. I took it as a gift for JJ ( I always try to bring her some little things from some cache when on caching-tour) and I left a small elephant-chop .

Zwischen den Wegen
I did not find this one:-( I had fairly good signals from the GPS (some 10m off) but the cache was hidden very well. I had no exact idea of where to search but I expected it to be hard here. The other logs all told about a good hidden cache and in this rain I simply did not want to go on searching more intense.

All in all...it was a nice night out in the woods. I felt relaxed and excited...a funny mix that I did not expect to fit so very well together.




No comments: