Thursday 25 September 2008

Matthew Reilly - Ice Station

Oh no...it began so entertaining but after 4 CDs I already lost interest and now at CD6 I cannot stand it anymore and deleted it from my iPod. I was listening to this audiobook and I must say that it was pure entertainment first. Some would call it trash or trivial literature and maybe it is.
Reilly writes in a good style, in short sentences, and he is constantly producing speed with his style. You could compare it with a film director who wants to produce speed and tension by cutting a film into a lot of fast and short cuts.

The story of the "Ice Station" however is fascinating, playing in a research station in the Antarctic Ice. Something has been discovered there. Looks like a spaceship and while trying to find out about it, a lot of scientists and divers die. All over sudden, not only US Marines but also french scientists and special forces as well as british forces appear at "Ice Station"....that is where the fast and furious adventure begins.
As a book you could surely read through it in 2-3 evenings. The audiobook is about 11 CDs and that is far too long for me in this case. Especially because the german reader talks so very monotonously and does not put any accents in his reading.
To me, personally, there was too much of killing soldiers in their trivial battles. Nothing believable left after CD 4 anymore and it was too much of american nationalism for a german listener like me. Too easy for the US Marines to find a way out of any unbelievable threat.

I quit listening to it even though I would have liked to know about the end of the story, but it became too boring. It may be because of the german reader but i think it is even more boring because of its extreme triviality. By listening to only the beginning of a chapter, you know how every little action will turn out.
Recommended for those who don't owe any imagination at all. I hope that the book is a lot better to read....on amazon.de reviews it got 3,5 to 4 stars. But I have no idea why and what for.

No comments: