Saturday 19 July 2008

I'm Not There

This film was difficult to get into but for the same reason it was even more thrilling and entertaining. It is said to be a film with autobiographical pieces of the life of Bob Dylan. The name "Bob Dylan" though does not appear in any scene on the film.
So it is a combination of real and surreal pieces.

When I watched this movie, I expected an autobiograhical movie in the classical way and needed a lot of time to get comfortably into the film because there is no real plot...no timeline, no chronology where you as a viewer could cling too. There are a several different identities trying to display the variety of the person "Bob Dylan".

For example:
The 11 year old Woody Guthrie, playing a fantastic accoustic session with Richie Havens (in reality, Woody Guthrie was one of the few persons that Bob Dylan really looked up to)

Jack Rollins, the Folk Music sensation, a difficult charactere, singing for the common people about simple life and expressing what others would like to say. The early Bob Dylan for sure.

Richard Gere, as Billy the Kid, was supposed to reflect the older Bob Dylan...but I must admit that I never got behind the meaning really. I am too simple for such stuff and I am too less into american history as well.

The artist Jude Quinn is the main plot of the film...and Jude Quinn (surprisingly good played by Cate Blanchett!!!!!), arrogant, ingenious, selfish and always thinking two thoughts ahead of others is playing Bob Dylan as he always appeared in my eyes. I like some of Bob Dylans songs and he sure is an outstanding personality, but generally I always disliked his terrible way of performing and his even more terrible obtrusive voice. He is one of the persons that was always really going on my nerves.
The film however was better to me. I thought it would be a hommage to Bob Dylan, telling everyone what an ingenious god he was and is. But the film was good to look at. It keeps your brain moving...giving you pushes to think further.

Sometimes all this is drifting away into heavy surreal dreams...as if you were under heavy drug influence of which I am sure Bob Dylan has spent a lot of time of his life. But one cool sentence I took with me from this film:
"It is as if yesterday, today and tomorrow are all in one room. You never know what's gonna happen then."

For the german viewers: the german voice of "Jude Quinn", which is taking most of the time of the film is simply terrible. I mean...Bob Dylan sure has a terrible voice, but not that terrible

No comments: