Saturday 5 July 2008

Breminale 2008

Mix it, baby...could be a good motto for this years Breminale again. Breminale is the Bremen Culture Spectacle taking place outdoors on the banks of the river "Weser", trying to combine all different kinds of arts, music, kids entertainment and as always it was again a very relaxed and joyfull atmosphere there.

All the different foods and drinks there did not really interest me that much (maybe because I forgot to take my money?) but the bands playing there were really interesting to me.
There are like 4 main stages with different bands performing there all day. All in all there were some 60 bands during 5 days playing and how different they were! We joined the gigs of:

The Coal Porters
Playing like Bluegrass,- Skiffle music. I have never been a friend of that really. But to this event it fitted perfectly. The musicians had so much fun with their performance and played a lot of uptempo pieces. Real fun to listen to their performance.

Outmatch
hmm...what was this? Those guys were really trying hard to act and behave like rockstars. They have the pose, they have the lightshow, they probably know how to play well...but this night they refused too. It was like boring rock music that you could play in the background of a shopping mall. And I bet they would give a lot to be able to sound and suck the same hard as Coldplay.

Dub Spencer & Trance Hill
That was a surprising act to me. This is a Dub/Reggae/Electronica kinda thing and that really moved me. The sound was so clear, the bassdrum went directly into my stomach and when they drifted away in some 10 minute improvisation (at least it sounded like improvisation) it was a good piece of Trance with exact and dry beats. They did not even play half as much reggae as one would think when looking at their myspace site. Maybe thats why I liked it. Very cool mix...I loved that!!!

No comments: